Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Boats Thread views: 10818 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Fishbait
(Unregistered)
10/10/01 07:07 PM
Mercury Black Max 150 Rebuild? [Post#: 454 ] Reply to this post

Hello,

Need some advice....I'm in Texas and have just found out that my compression is about 110 on the top two cylinders. The mechanic thinks they are scored and gave me a price of $2,200.00 to have the motor rebuilt. I understand that this motor is only worth $1,5.00 running.

Is that price out of line for rebuilding? Not sure what to do!? The boat is an 89 Champion 184DC and the carpet and gelcoat are looking rough. I was thinking that I should sell it before the rods go but I absolutely cannot in good conscience sell it to someone knowing that it is only a matter of time before it gives out. Any advice would be great because I am in a rock and a hard spot with this.
Thanks for any input,

Fishbait

Wayne
(Unregistered)
11/5/01 04:53 PM
Re: Mercury Black Max 150 Rebuild? new [Post#: 481 / re: 454 ] Reply to this post

Keep the boat and buy a new powerhead. Pick up or order a Boat Trader and look in the back of the book. Find one of those companies in the back that ship motors for a living. You can get a Mercury 150 completely rebuilt powerhead with a one year warranty for less. A good boat guy should charge you about $300 to $600 labor to install it and make it scream.

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright