Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Freshwater Thread views: 7358 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Jimmy Everett
(Unregistered)
1/4/05 02:09 AM
Lake Fork Report new [Post#: 1828 ] Reply to this post

The last few days on Fork have been great with good numbers and size fish being caught. The water temp is running from 51-54 degrees and with the warm spell we have had even with the cool rain has really turned these fish on. Up until this warm spell fishing had been tough and the fish were very scattered. The bass and shad have really seem to move up and stick to the grass. This is the time of year where it can feast or famine. I’m sure many of the people who have visited Fork over the last few days can relate to.

For the shallow water bite which has been better for me I have only been throwing a few baits and staying with them because they are producing fish. The first and the best for me so far has been a lipless crank bait in ½ or ¾ oz. The best colors have been red, orange, red/yellow, and black/gold. This is the ticket to finding your fish in the grass (3-8 feet). Take your lipless crank bait find some good grass put your trolling motor on low and go. Just throw, throw, and throw. Once you find some a few fish in a small area such as a 25yd stretch of grass turn around and fish it over and over until you don’t catch any more for 2 or 3 passes down that stretch of grass. I’m then turning around and fishing that area again with a Yomamoto senko very slow through the and around the edges of the grass. I have been throwing black/blue flake and watermelon/black core. That’s has been the best pattern so far for me but I have also caught a few good fish on black/blue ½ oz Strike Works Wood Jig with a black Zoom super chunk for a trailer. The fish I have caught have been in creek bends and grass lines (6-12 feet) with a lot of timber present in the area. This is the bait I would suggest for those looking only for your 10+lb fish. You wont catch near as many most of the time but the ones you get will be good fish.

My deep bite has been very unreliable. One day I will find a small school of fish out deep and do pretty well and then the next day I might not be able to find a fish. Although I have had some very nice fish I haven’t spent a lot of time fishing deep because the shallow fishing has been so good. The bass I was catching out deep (25-30 feet) I have caught on drop shot with a 1 ½ foot leader and a small watermelon/red or watermelon/purple Yomamoto or Zoom finesse worms. The few I am finding have been on main lake roadbeds and points. The key is fish slow and be very patient if you chose to stay out deep. I believe there are bigger fish out deep but they are harder to catch than those that are moving up to feed in the grass.

If you are looking to catch that fish of a lifetime let me help. Now is a good time to book a trip for this winter or spring. To get the best dates or dates you want to book, book early to make sure you get the dates you want. For booking info or to find out more info about a great guide trip on Lake Fork give me a call at 903-765-3980 or visit me at www.fishinlakefork.com and email me from there.

I will also be at The Fun-N-Sun booth at the Ft. Worth Boat Show so feel free to stop in and say Hi and talk about some Lake Fork fishing. Also Check the good deals on 2004 and 2005 lines of Skeeter and Ranger Bass Boats. The dates are January 7-9 and January 14-16. Look forward to seeing some of you there.

Good luck and be safe
Jimmy Everett

Skeeter, Yamaha, Fun-N-Sun Sporting Centers, Axton’s Bass City, Friendly Custom Rods, Strike Works Tackle

Rix
(Unregistered)
1/11/05 08:52 PM
Re: Lake Fork Report [Post#: 1835 / re: 1828 ] Reply to this post

Hey Jimmy,

Can you fish that lake in March? I may be in Texas at the end of January and/or in March and was thinking I may take a day off and fish it.

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright