Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Freshwater Thread views: 5422 *Threaded Mode

Jimmy Everett
(Unregistered)
3/1/05 10:45 AM
Lake Fork Report [Post#: 1871 ] Reply to this post

Lake Fork Report
Lake Fork was on fire last week with the warm air and water temps. This pushed many fish on the north end of the lake up on grass beds. I found water Tuesday that was 68 degrees. Fish were scattered thick all over the grass and even pushed some fish up on beds. This makes for some great sight fishing opportunities. Most of my fishing has still been in shallow water with the exception of trying to catch a big fish.

Shallow water was at its best this week. I have been fishing 2-7 feet of water on big grass flats. Over the grass and in the sandy spots have both produced very well. My best baits have been a 6" zoom or V&M lizard in smoke purple or watermelon/blue. Fish these on a 1/8oz weight and a 4/0 hook. Swim this bait over the grass and sandy spots. This technique is deadly this time of year. This is something everyone needs to learn. Other good baits have been a watermelon senko or a wacky worm fished weightless in the holes of the grass. I even caught fish this week throwing a buzz bait and a zoom horny toad. They were great strikes and very hard strikes when they blow up on those baits.

For the big fish my best baits have been a 3/8 or 1/2oz Strike Works Wood Jig with a matching trailer and a large spinner bait slow rolled in 6-12 feet of water around creek channels leading into spawning flats.

With this cold weather we have moving in I except the shallow bite to slow down some. Yesterday the water temp was 56 degrees where it was 68. This means you will need to slow down some and fish the outside edges of grass leading into the spawning flats. I also think with the dropping water temps a crawfish colored trap with start to produce some nice catches again.

For the month of March I have the 6th,9th,12th, 14th,15th, and the 27th open. I still have some scattered dates open in April but a couple more near the end of the month. If you would like to come to Fork on a great guide trip give me a call at 903-765-3980 or 903-216-1867 or email me through the web at www.fishinlakefork.com.

Good luck to those on the lake this spring and be safe
Jimmy Everett's Guide Service

Skeeter, Yamaha, Fun-N-Sun, Axton’s Bass City, Strike Works Tackle

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site © Copyright