(Unregistered)
4/26/04 03:50 PM
Cabo Bite Report [Post#: 1528 ] Reply to this post

Capt George Landrum

Fly Hooker Sportfishing

gmlandrum@hotmail.com

www.flyhooker.com

CABO SAN LUCAS FISH REPORT APRIL 18-24, 2004

WEATHER: We had wonderful weather this week as it was sunny all week long and the wind
only started blowing after noon each day and almost every day had stopped by morning. The one
exception was on the 21st when it continued to blow until 9 AM. Our daytime highs were in the
low 90’s and night time lows reached down to the mid 60’s but most nights were around 70
degrees.

WATER: The water on the Pacific side of the Cape has been cold, at least relative to the water
on the Sea of Cortez side. It did not get to 70 degrees until you were well past the San Jaime
Banks, and the water close to shore was as cold as 63 degrees. On the Sea of Cortez it was
another matter as we had a finger of warm water, sometimes as warm as 77 degrees, push
towards the Cape following the shore and extending out to around 12 miles. Once out past the
12 miles the water got a bit off color but remained fairly warm. The cold Pacific water continued
to push in but upon meeting the warm water on the Cortez side it was forced to the south.

BAIT: The normal $2 per bait for Caballito (most of them were small) with very few small
Mackerel available. I did not hear of any Sardines making it down to Cabo from San Jose.

FISHING:

BILLFISH: The warm water returning to our area brought the Billfish with it! I heard reports of
at least three Blue Marlin being caught this week, with the largest one at #480. On Thursday the
Striped Marlin bite just seemed to explode with some boats getting shots at as many as 20 fish a
day. The average seemed to be 10 fish a day (not caught, but seen and baited) with most boats
able to get at least one to the side. The bite was in the warm water area of the Sea of Cortez,
between the shore and out 10 miles, and from right in front of town all the way up the coast to the
Punta Gorda area. Most of the bites seemed to occur on trolled lures, with the strikes on them
out numbering the strikes on live bait by about 3 to 1. Most of the fish were in the #120 class.

YELLOWFIN TUNA: If you read last weeks report, you remember me mentioning the Purse
Seiners that have been hanging around. Well, they are still here. I was out on the water today
and saw three of them under way just off the coast on the Cortez side, one of them was a super
seiner carrying a helicopter on the roof. Besides those three, there were four more anchored off
the beach in Cabo Bay. Now let me pose a question to you. If these boats are not legally allowed
to fish within 50 miles of the coast, why do they stop and drift all day on the banks and the 95
spot? Do you think they may be waiting for the sport boats to leave so they can set their nets at
night? That may be one of the reasons we are not seeing any Yellowfin much larger than 20
pounds, with the rare exception of an occasional 40-60 pound fish, and may also explain why the
porpoise are behaving so strangely. All right, the Yellowfin this week were on the small side still,
but they were still the fish of the week as almost all the charter boats were able to get a few of
them on board, and a few boats absolutely loaded up on them. Early in the week just to the west
of the San Jaime was a good area and then the bite shifted to due south of the Cape. Often in
Porpoise, but just as often they were blind strikes. Contrary to what is usually the case, the best
bitten lures this week were feathers in bright colors, Mexican Flag and Yellow/Green. Normally
they bite best on dark colors.

DORADO: There were not a lot of Dorado caught this week but it looks as if the bite should be
picking up soon. A couple of days in a row there were kelp paddies found on both the Pacific
(early in the week) and on the Cortez side (later in the week) and these paddies held decent
numbers of Dorado to 25 pounds. There are still occasional fish being found in the blind in the
warm water areas as well.

WAHOO: Last week there were some Wahoo beginning to show and this week they came on
strong. Not every boat caught them, but there were boats that were in the right place at the right
time and did very will. One Captain I know got the fish of a lifetime when he hooked a Wahoo
that weighed #120 as he was approaching a kelp paddy. He ended the day with 4 Wahoo, the
other three were a pair of #40 fish and another one of around #70, and he lost several others!
There were quite a few of the larger fish caught this week and the Gorda Banks as well as the
points between Cabo and San Jose popped out fish as well. Oh, don’t forget the kelp paddies and
the open ocean fish as well! Marauders and dark colored lures, mostly in blue/black and Petrelero
worked well.

INSHORE: No change from last week so here it is again. Slow fishing in rough water on the
Pacific side, but those that could handle it found fair fishing up around the lighthouse on the
Pacific and just off the Arches for Yellowtail to 25 pounds on live bait dropped deep and irons in
white. There were also Sierra in the 4 to 8 pound range in the same area as well as right in the
Cabo San Lucas Bay and up around El Tule. The favorite for good catches of Sierra seemed to
be dark colored hootchies run deep with the use of a planer or down-rigger. Elsewhere the
inshore action was slow with only a few fish found.

NOTES: Lets see, hot topics of the week were the “Purse Seiners”, the great Wahoo bite and
finally the Striped Marlin bite turning on. I already wrote about them in the report so I won’t go
over it again. Let’s hope the bite continues on the Wahoo and the Marlin, and keep our fingers
crossed that something will be done with the Seiners. A.....before I forget...be sure to get a
fishing license when you are here if you plan to go fishing. The guys from Department of
Fisheries have been boarding boats returning to the marina (accompanied by armed marines) and
confiscating the rods and reels from boats where the anglers do not have licenses. I saw this with
my own eyes this week. It is no longer difficult to get a license though, not the time draining and
headache causing chore it used to be. Just go to the little office over by the main dock (ask
anyone, they will tell you where it is) and pay the fee, they will issue it right there, right now!
This weeks report was written to the music of my cats screaming for fresh Tuna, maybe next
week I will put a CD on and drown them out! Until then, tight lines!

bill
(Unregistered)
5/4/04 05:52 PM
Re: Cabo Bite Report new [Post#: 1544 / re: 1528 ] Reply to this post

Ha Cpt George. Would like to vacation down in Cabo this fall or late summer. If i would like some good big game fishing when would you recommend? Bill from Calif.

George Landrum
(Unregistered)
5/10/04 11:30 PM
Re: Cabo Bite Report new [Post#: 1552 / re: 1544 ] Reply to this post

Bill, since you specify late summer or early fall you would be looking at either Blue or Black Marlin or big Yellowfin Tuna. The reason that most of the tournaments here are held during October or November is that the Hurricane season is over and the waters are the right temperature for the big fish. If you are able to spend some time during August and September and are flexible as far as fishing dates are concerned, and not too worried about bad weather, then they are great months because there are fewer people around and there is less pressure on the fish. Of course, you run the chance of getting blown out the entire trip, but heck, thats just one of the little spices in life! The main problem with the month of October is all the tournaments make it difficult to get a boat unless you book months in advance, and the fish are under a lot of pressure. Believe me, they feel it! Knowing what I do, and putting myself in your position, I would suggest getting a few days booked in September or early November for either Marlin or Tuna, with days around the full moon best for Tuna and the new moon best for Marlin. August has almost as many Tuna, just as many Marlin, but also has Dorado, and some big ones at that. It is still hurricane season though, and you run the chance of being blown out. Any way that you go during that time frame, the fishing can be outstanding. The key would be water temperatures, and they are difficult to predict. What ever you do, book in advance for the busy months of October and November and be sure to check and verify the boats policy on refunds. Of lot of the "agents" will only give you credit towards your next trip, some of the boats will give a complete deposit refund with 24 hours notice, others will need at least 7 days notice for a refund or you lose your deposit. Any way that you decide to go, have fun and good luck!

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright