Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 4371 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

CaptDan_Kauai
(Unknown Angler )
4/10/01 00:14 AM
Summer Allready..? [Post#: 174 ] Reply to this post

`a “Perfect Day for Trolling the Blue Waters…”

Since it’s only 13 minutes out of the Harbor, we gave the 40 fathom ledge in front of the harbor a pass to see if Any Ono, were there…`”Nope”…no one home this morning…
`oh well… we’ll be back thru in a few hours… we’ll get `em then..!

Out to the deep waters, Trolling… Looking…
“Enjoying the Beautiful day off a little rock...
in the Middle of the Biggest pond ever made, sure can’t beet the view of Kauai while on the water…
& the Water..!…It’s SO BLUE..!
Great contrast to the Green & Red Island against the Blue sky with the Fluffy white clouds floating by…
`Ahhhhh…. Fishing off Kauai…`Hawaii…on a Bitchen little Bertram Sportfisher…

So there we are, cappy likes to make his first pass on the FAD going downhill,
sun behind boat so he can see any Mahi that might be hanging…
`since there’s a tuna pile 8 miles away… All the other boats have Ignored this buoy the last days…
a quarter mile from the buoy, cappy points out the 5 Red Footed Boobies `worken the fad…
”looks like we might get a bite out a this pass…
Sure nuf… as the boat just gets past the buoy…cappy says…”Here WE GO..!…
Could see a fish cutting across the surface towards the lure that seems to be 20 ft. behind the boat…SNAP.ZZzzZZZz!!!
At the Same time, the line hooked up to one of the outriggers comes Crashing down…Screaming out line….
So there we are…
Cappy says he saw a few of em under the can…”Let the ladies have these, you can get yours on bait…
“Bait..?… Mahi…?…. My Favorite….`& their Nice ones too….
As the boat comes to almost a stop, cappy cranks in the corner line that isn’t hooked up, takes the lure off & puts on a leaderd hook, looks like 150 lb. mono leader probably 10 ft long, crimped to a 8/0 J hook….he puts on what he called a Big Eyed Scad, just pined it thru the nose & dropped it in the water…short… `& told me to let it back when he says…
So there we are…
My wife & daughter, Hooked UP to a couple nice Mahi Mahi…cappy up on the bridge, turning the boat to stay close to the Fad… & me…with a Gold 50 lb. class Stand Up rig attached to a palm sized baitfish with a hook on his head…
Ahhhh….Fish`n….
Ol mom’s fish was the short lure, a Big Marlin lure with two 11/0 hooks…
`her fish seemed Hooked pretty good, it came in quick…`cappy says
“we’ll take it quick…`Get Dinner on Board…`don’t see any followers so keep the bait close…
He Swings…He misses..!…`ol cappy says Somethen about fresh Mahi at gaff…
(I think he was talking to the Fish) He gets it next swing…
BEAUTIFUL.!!!…You just Have to See a Live Mahi Mahi to believe their Color…
& can they thrash on deck..? YES.!!!…cappy had that one in the fish box in a hurry, he said 23 lbs…
WoW.!!! M`ladies Biggest fish yet…
So there we are…
M`little girl is on one that looks Bigger…`sure glad we came, she is just getting into high school & we don’t get time together like before, FISHING…the `Best Family Time…
Not sure it could get better, the sun at our back…the boat stopped…calm seas…a Nice Mahi jumping at the end of a line… Family Time...

`cappy says he sees more fish, just behind the one on the Hook…drop the bait back…
`sure nuf… as soon as the bait got 20 ft. behind the boat…
A Mahi came swimming along behind it…& takes it…HOOK UP.!!!
Nice One Too…!!!
Cappy says it’s “the Bull”…it looks twice as big as the others…Strong Too..!
The Mahi looked like it was doing summersaults back there, Cart Wheeling… then the Run..!!!
Cappy puts a gaff in m`girls Mahi & puts it in the box…same size as the first, & Pretty..!!!
So there we are…
off Kauai, a Beautiful day…m`girls just caught their Biggest Fish ever… I’m presently ON Mine….
`& we’ve Only been out an hour… though were in 6,000 ft. of water, 5 miles out…
the Mahi is a tough one, after 20 minutes of tug of war, a couple short runs & a Few Very Impressive Jumps… just before he gets to double line, he Stands Up on his Tail Shaking his head Violently…`almost hit me with the hooks as they came out of it’s mouth… then it just sat there, on the surface looking at me…`he might have been smiling as he took the other Mahi with him away from that noisy thing with invisible arms…
So there we are…
`learnt Early in this relationship not to let it bother me when the girls Out Fish me… even when they rub it in…
cappy says, “to keep it even, the girls get one rod each, the ones that didn’t get bit last pass, I get the two that bit…`sounds fair to me…
cappy says the other boats on the radio found the Tuna Pile, one guy has one around 160 lbs.,
HuH..!!!..160…`that’s how much I weighed in high school..!!!…& the girls..?
So there we are…
It’s been an hour, trolling along with Nothen happening… cappy says, “that’s trolling…” then he points ahead of the boat… there are about 7 boats just in front of us, two of em are dead in the water, I can see guys sitting in their Fighting Chairs working a rod, a Big Rod..! The others appear to be chasing a big group of birds, a Tuna Pile…
LOOK AT THAT!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
That Tuna just Jumped 6 Foot OUT of the water.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cappy says…`keep watching, they’re chasing Flying Fish…`Watch the Frigate Birds, the Big ones hovering…Look, over there…! ` sure nuf…the big birds came down, at the place in the Ocean they came to…a fish the size of a small trout came Flying out of the water… “they Really Do Fly… it’s a wonder they still exist…
As the Flying Fish came out of the water, two Giant Frigates & a Blue Billed Booby came swooping down on it…
Then…a Big Fellow Fin Tuna came busting out of the water after it…`hardly a ripple where it came out, directly behind the Flying Fish…He GOT IT !!! Cool..!!!
So there we are…
In the Middle of the Ocean… In the Middle of a Tuna Pile…!…5 miles Offshore of Kauai, Hawaii…
Cappy says their moving fast, the other boats have been running them since sun rise…
Their kinda biting…`if you can get the lures over the pile, it seemed to be staying just in front of the boat…
It’s Amazing how the schools move, you see em from the birds, Thousands of birds…
Giant Frigates…Blue Billed & Red Footed Boobies…Turns, Petrels, Shearwaters…
Every once in a while, Skipjack Tuna Schools will bust bait…the smaller birds will be right on top of em…
The bigger birds will be swooping, looking, waiting… or Hanging High watching the whole scene…
`there the ones to watch…the Frigates… when they fold their wings & dive…That’s where you Want the lures to be…
“Like ThaT !!! `cappy says as the lines finally get close to the action… “Here We GO !!!!!!!
So here we are…
`in the middle of a thousand birds…the 50 lb. class reel Screaming out line at an Unbelievable rate, Rod Bent double…
Then the one on the rigger comes SLAMMING DOWN…Screaming OUT line..!!!!!!!!!!!
`these are a little different than the Mahi Mahi… as cappy says… “these are REAL FISH”…
OF course, `on the Girls rods…

NUF FER NOW…………………
Aloha Folks…
`the weather is Here…`wish you were Beautiful… ;-)

Stand Up Fishing Charters Poipu Kauai Inc. http://www.fishingkauai.com

MJB
(Unknown Angler )
4/12/01 03:01 AM
Re: Summer Allready..? new [Post#: 179 / re: 174 ] Reply to this post

G'day Capt.Dan

How goes that tackle you bought. any more deep water hits when jigging.

regards

Steve Badman

The Master Jig Builder

Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright