George_Landrum
(Unknown Angler )
4/2/01 03:14 PM
Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 159 ] Reply to this post

CABO SAN LUCAS FISH REPORT FOR MARCH 26-APRIL1 2001
Capt. George Landrum
“Fly Hooker” Sportfishing
landrum@caboguide.zzn.com

WEATHER: The wind started blowing from the N.W. on Monday evening and didn’t stop until Friday night. It occasionally swung around and came from the south. The strong wind combined with large ground swells plus the wind swell made fishing on the Pacific side nearly impossible. Temperatures remained in the 60-80 degree range throughout the entire week with no rain or cloud cover.

WATER: The Pacific side experienced very rough conditions and large swells were prevalent throughout the week. Saturday saw an improvement in conditions through the entire Cabo fishing range as a result of the wind disappearing. The sustained wind all week forced a thick band of cold water, from 60-64 degrees, across the Cape and up the Sea of Cortez as far as San Jose. This cold band extended offshore for a distance of 15-20 miles on the Cortez side and up to 35 miles south of the Cape. The wind picked up again on Sunday afternoon, but now on Monday morning it is calm.

BAIT: The larger baits, Mackerel and Caballito, were available at the usual $2 per bait. Sardinas were hard to get all week and the few that could be found were in San Jose.

FISHING:

BILLFISH: There have been a lot of Swordfish sighted due south of Cabo this past week and several were hooked up. The cold water has brought these fish around and forced the Striped Marlin further off shore. There have been plenty of Striped Marlin sighted outside the band of cold water but they have been slow to bite. Several boats were able to get multiple hookups this past week but they were the exception, being in the right place at the right time. The Swordfish were hooked on live bait and most of the Striped Marlin were caught on lures.

YELLOWFIN TUNA: The bite that had been happening at Gordo Banks the previous week died off this week, mostly due to the absence of Sardinas as bait. The Yellowfin that were caught were found mixed in with the Porpoise and averaged 10-20 pounds, the football sized fish. A few larger fish, up to 150 pounds, were caught among the Porpoise also but they were few and far between. Most Yellowfin caught were fooled by 6”-9” feathers and cedar plugs.

DORADO: Only a few were found this week and they were on the small side, averaging only 10 pounds. The water near shoe may be too cold for them right now.

WAHOO: A few were reported and the sizes were very nice, 80 pound average. There were no concentrations of Wahoo found; each caught was an incidental fish found while looking for something else.

NEARSHORE: Yellowtail were the inshore/near shore fish of the week since the heavy winds blew in the cold water. While not steady, action was found by boats concentrating on the rocky points and rock piles during the beginning and end of the slack tides. Chrome, chrome/blue and mackerel in 6 oz. iron produced the most fish and some were found by trolling Rapalas and live bait over the same areas. The Yellowtail averaged 15 pounds with an exceptional fish going to 25 pounds. The other inshore action was provided by Sierra and these also were an on again/off again proposition. One day you would catch 20 or 30 and the next catch 5. A few Skipjack tuna and Amberjack provided the remainder of the inshore roundup.

NOTES: The Whales are almost gone and the Spring Breakers are still here!
Hope the fishing gets better soon. My house in Cabo is for sale. The boat that ran up on the rocks at Chileno then sunk in the marina entrance was raised this week and is no longer a hazard to navigation. Please book a boat through a licensed agent or owner, don’t contribute to the “coyote” scams and problems at the marina. The agencies raised the price of beer so everyone followed suit, now the cheapest beer at a bar costs 14 pesos, used to be 12 pesos. Marina raised their rates; everyone raised the price on everything, bet the charter rates go up soon. I’m getting a tan and am warm, are you? But then the wind starts blowing and we are all running around with jackets again.

Until next week, Tight Lines!

Capt. George Landrum
“Fly Hooker” Sportfishing
landrum@caboguide.zzn.com

MJB
(Unknown Angler )
4/9/01 09:00 AM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 171 / re: 159 ] Reply to this post

Just read your report and was wondering what size and colour the natural Sardine baitfish are in your area.

We make a Sardine/Pilchard flex body trolling lure with a mid set and rear opposing single hook which can also be scented. Approx 6" long and are called Demon Blue Water Baitfish Lures.

Would be interested in hearing back from you on my Q.

regards

Steve Badman
http://www.demonjigs.com/

The Master Jig Builder

George_Landrum
(Unknown Angler )
4/12/01 07:37 PM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 180 / re: 171 ] Reply to this post

Hi Steve,

Our Sardinas here are really Ironside Herring. The name “Sardina” is a local term. The average size is 3 to 4 inches long; very few I have ever seen get larger than 4 inches. They are silver-sided; light blue-backed and have a small bronze spot on the side just above and slightly behind the pectoral fin. I checked your web site and while the jigs look great, I see nothing there that matches the types of bait we are most familiar with here. If you do come up with something that you think matches our live bait, I would be more than happy to give it a try and let you know if you are on the right track.

Tight Lines,
Capt. George Landrum

MJB
(Unknown Angler )
4/14/01 08:20 PM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report [Post#: 184 / re: 180 ] Reply to this post

G'day Capt. George

Thanks for the details. They are a perfect match to our Bluewater Baitfish Lures and sound very close to our natural Pilchard baitfish below, apart from the bronze spot.

http://www.outdoorcart.com/demon/bwbflures.htm

Regards

The Master Jig Builder

oneeye
(Unregistered)
4/16/02 00:39 AM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 710 / re: 159 ] Reply to this post

what are conditions like in cabo during mid may??
plan to go bill fishing on redrum charter -are things looking promissing?? pls respond - thx

George Landrum
(Unregistered)
4/16/02 02:24 AM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 713 / re: 710 ] Reply to this post

Hi Oneeye,
Last May our boat did well mid month but of
course that is no prediction of this coming
months fishing. Heck, if I could predict what
the fishing was going to be like I could be
rich! Last year on the 13th we tagged and
released one Striped Marlin on lures and tossed
bait to three others plus caught 2 Dorado, all
north of Gordo Banks. On the 14th the boat went
26 miles north and they caught 2 Striped Marlin,
one on lures and one on live bait plus saw 15
others. On the 15th they repeated the action of
the 14th in the same area but the action
happened later in the day around 11am. On the
16th the caught and kept one Striped Marlin that
was hooked in the eye by the lures hooks and
tagged and released another one on live bait,
again in the same area only this day they saw 15-
20 fish. These days surrounded the 1st Quarter
moon. Early in the month around the full moon
they were getting lots of Yellowfin Tuna and
there were a lot of Marlin around but they were
not biting as well. Later in the month all the
action moved inshore with the arrival of the
larger Roosterfish and an abundance of Squid
that kept the offshore fish full and not
hungry. First quarter moon this year is on the
19th so plan accordingly. I am always
interested in knowing why people chose to book
the boats they do so if you would be kind enough
to let me know why you decided on "Redrum" as
your provider I would appreciate it! Perhaps
they could fill you in on the action they had
during that time frame last year also. By the
way, all the action for those four days were
with the same client, John Woods and his dad!
What a trip they had! Hope this helps you!
Capt, George Landrum

George & Mary
Juan & Manuel
The "Fly Hooker" Crew
www.flyhooker.com
011-52-624-147-5614
011-52-624-143-8271 phone/fax
locally 044-624-170-1271 or
14-38271

oneeye
(Unregistered)
4/20/02 06:44 PM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 719 / re: 713 ] Reply to this post

why we chose the redrum - recommendations from a friend,
i thought the pieces also had a nice website- we live in texas and alot of people here go by recommendations, because of so many bad reports about charters- not giving total price packages ( no extras - ex.bait,taxes,licenses,cleaning )people here a tired of price gouging in cabo and if it doesnt stop people wont come back- we realize cabo is more expensive than cancun but my friends tell me it is getting worst--- do you no why???

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
4/23/02 12:14 PM
Re: Cabo San Lucas Fish Report new [Post#: 729 / re: 719 ] Reply to this post

Yep, recomendations are the life blood of any business! Thanks for the response. As far as it getting expensive here, tell me about it, my wife and I live here year round! You have to remember that this is the tip of a peninsula in a desert, no agriculture or natural resources so everything is either trucked in or brought over on the ferry. That drives prices up quite a bit. 0% unemployment means wages have to be higher than elsewhere also, that in turn drives the cost of everything else up. My 34' slip costs over $700 a month! Anyhoo, it's expensive and not likely to get any less so, but the fishing is good! By the way, the Marlin have started to move in over the last two days!

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright