Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 3720 *Threaded Mode

Capt Gene Kelly
(Unregistered)
7/4/05 11:17 PM
Montauk Sportfishing Report 7/5/05 [Post#: 2002 ] Reply to this post

7/5/05
Something is wrong with Mother Nature. The old biddy gave us two real nice holiday weekends in a row. I’m getting
worried that she is setting us up for something.

Inshore the bass and fluke fishing is spotty at best. Be at the right place at the right time and fish fast and you’ll do OK.
Otherwise it’s a struggle. Porgy season opened up the first, but it seems like the only place there is any concentration of
them is over by Gardiner’s Island. That doesn’t work out too well for anyone interested in livelining them for the bass,
plus they’re pretty large porgies, so you’ll have to find some pretty large bass to eat them.

Off shore the sharking remains good for blue sharks, but less good for the exotics, although a couple of threshers and
makos are being taken daily. Shark boats have also been catching some bluefins on the way to their favorite spot, and
unlike past years, most of the fish are legals, averaging around twenty-five pounds or so. And the best part is that they
are not far out, mostly between the 750 & 800 line. They’re not catching a lot, and they’re not always catching, but it’s a
start. You have to be careful when you hear the reports about the bluefins. A captain stating that he caught his limit of
bluefins might mean he caught one fish. Hopefully this will improve.

Next week the Montauk Boatman’s and Captain’s Association holds their shark tournament at Star Island. This is a
charity event with the proceed going to local youths in the form of scholarships, and the fishing is on Friday and
Saturday.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a note at
CaptGene@MontaukSportfishing.com. And for more information about fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at
800 280 5565 or check out http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

fishclix
(stranger)
8/8/05 01:39 PM
Re: Montauk Sportfishing Report 7/5/05 new [Post#: 2012 / re: 2002 ] Reply to this post

Hi Capt Gene,

I just returned from Montauk. 07-28 -- 08-07. Unfortunately I didn't get the time to escape the kids for a charter. However, I did manage to bag a bunch of medium Blues out of the surf at Kirk Bch using a 2 oz. crippled herring. Other anglers also caught blues and one guy pulled in a nice size bass. The days were hit or miss with bait gathering about mid tide (Afternoon) to the low tide and lasting until low tide. In the evening while sitting on the deck at the Montauket, I could see piles of bait boiling over and the specultation was porgies or small blues. Essentially, the bait on both the surf and the bay were close enough to cast into or drive up to. A patient shore fisherman or boater could easily fill up if they caught the bait boils.

Ed

Webmaster

*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright