Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2367 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Delta Guides
(Unregistered)
5/7/01 10:52 AM
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Report [Post#: 237 ] Reply to this post

South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Fishing Report
Week of 04-29-01 through 05-05-01

This week has been pretty busy. The wind slackened for a few days and the weather was great. We've been finding scattered fish in many of their normal summertime places and had pretty good luck overall in getting them to bite. A couple of days frustrated us and our clients because we could see lots of fish, but they just could not be tempted into biting. We've also been able to find a few trout on some of our "secret spots." Many have been the big roe bearing females and we've been sure to handle them with care. Most of them, we release by mashing down the barbs before fishing and then not even lifting the fish into the boat but just leaning over and unhooking them alongside while they are still in the water. We've also been catching flounder in many of the drains and sandy points. We generally don't fish for them specifically but they seem to hang out in many of the same places where we find the trout. Most of the trout are being caught on jigs in water that is from 4 to 10 feet deep while the reds are doing their thing in the really shallow water on low tide and in the grass on high water.

The totals for 9 trips was: reds totaled 19 with the largest one at 15# and several that were over 11# each. Trout totaled 34 with many of them around 3 ½ pounds. Around 7 or 8 small flounder and one catfish finished the week.

One of our readers sent me this URL for more information about the Methylmercury and other dangerous compounds in fish. Go to http://www.scdhec.net/eqc/admin/html/fishadv.html
and you will find a wealth of information about our fish and most of it is not good news.

Our group is hosting a public meeting in Georgetown, SC on May 15. We will have the senior redfish biologist for the state (Dr. Charles Wenner) presenting us with the facts and figures documenting the current state of the redfish population along our coast. Also, we will have Mr. Charles Moore from the state's Office of Environmental Management do a presentation on Methylmercury in fish and what, if anything, can be done about it. I've already attended both of these presentations and I can assure you it won't be boring! If any of you readers are in the area and would like to attend, please e-mail me at dtp@sccoast.net and I'll send you a map and the particulars about when and where to meet.

Thanks, Gene Dickson
Delta Guide Service http://www.deltaguideservice.com
Georgetown, SC
E-mail to: dtp@sccoast.net
1-843-546-3645

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright