Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2650 *Threaded Mode

Delta Guides
(Unregistered)
5/16/01 05:35 PM
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Report [Post#: 245 ] Reply to this post

South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Fishing Report
Week of 05-06-01 through 05-12-01

I'm sorry to be so late with this report. I got tied up in getting our public meeting put together and we've been running trips every day so I just got behind with my business. I'll try to do better.

For those of you that attended the meeting, I hope you learned from what you heard and I sincerely appreciate you taking time to come and hear it. We had 88 people attend. Not bad for a small town like Georgetown, SC.

Each time we think the weather has settled, we are hit with another front or system. Several days were pretty and several were not so pretty, and one was absolutely awful. The fish seem to be biting OK when you can find them and they will hit artificials as well as live bait. We've been finding a few trout at some of the old favorite holes and quite a few are females that are ready to spawn. Every time I get to talking about trout fishing I'm reminded of a statement made in a book called "Spotted Seatrout, Natural History and Fishing Techniques in South Carolina." It says, "There are fish that grow larger and fight harder, but there is something special about angling for trout." There is truly something special about angling for trout and I hope that if you catch a big one that is full of roe, you can find the courage to let it go. This past winter took a toll on them and at this time, no one knows exactly how hard they were hit so every one that we can let live to spawn, is going to make next spring that much better.

We are still catching most of the reds during high tide either in the grass or close to the edge of it. Minnows under floats, or on bottom rigs work well. If the wind will let you do it, you can pull crank baits parallel to the shore line as you move along slowly or back off and pitch spoons into the grass beds. Remember, if you fish a spoon in the grass, you'll need to have some really good heavyweight line to prevent the fish from breaking it as they drag it through the grass. We normally use 20 # test "Fireline" which is a Berkley product that works well and is easy to cast. We also use a pretty stiff rod in order to steer the fish out of the grass. We use these same rigs when casting along the outside edge of the grass because many times a hooked fish will turn and run into the grass. If that happens and you're using lightweight mono, you can just about bet you will draw back a broken line and the fish will leave with your bait.

Our total for the week was: reds totaled 14 with several over 8# each and two that were over 12# each. Sea trout totaled 29 with most of them around 2 ½ # each and full of roe. Flounder totaled 11 with most of them around 1 ½ or 2# each.

Thanks, Gene Dickson
Delta Guide Service http://www.deltaguideservice.com
Georgetown, SC
E-mail to: dtp@sccoast.net
1-843-546-3645

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright