Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2384 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Fishbuster Dave
(Unregistered)
8/24/07 05:05 PM
SW FL-Bonita Beach: 24 lb. cobia, goliaths, snappe [Post#: 2473 ] Reply to this post

I fished 17 miles out of New Pass on Thursday, 8/23, with Paul Fenwick, Pamela Harden, Chris Dicon, John Priddy and Jackie Myers. We caught seven keeper mangrove snapper, a few Spanish mackerel and porgies, and released two goliath grouper each about 20 pounds before we hit the jackpot with a 24 pound cobia. We had hooked a small remora on a shrimp, and the cobia was hanging around trying to eat the shrimp protruding from the remora’s mouth (cobia tend to swim with remora.) With a little coaxing, the cobia swam boat-side. I grabbed my gaff, and hitting it lucky, got the fish dead-on. A green cobia is notorious for its power and ability to tear up everything in the boat, and I was prepared for the worst, but I was lucky--the way the gaff caught him, he didn’t even wiggle. (see photo)

Friday, fishing in 35-42 feet out of New Pass with Joe Lester, Paul Schaffer, and brothers Joe and John Berra, we released most of what we caught, except a few nice snapper for the group’s dinner. We caught lane snapper, mangrove snapper, a small hogfish, red grouper shorts to 18 ½ inches, triggerfish, porkfish, whitebone porgies and lots of ladyfish. A couple anglers had a couple of nice Spanish mackerel hooked, but they got their lines wrapped around each other and broke those off. We had a goliath try to eat one of our snappers on the way up, so we tossed the snapper back out for bait and released a 25 pound goliath. We were broken off by a larger goliath a while later. The water temperature was hot—91.1 degrees.

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright