Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2339 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Capt Gene Kelly
(Unregistered)
5/20/01 05:41 PM
Montauk Sportfishing Report 5/20/01 [Post#: 249 ] Reply to this post

I hope you got stocked up on your fluke fillets, while things were hot, because it dropped
dead last week. Thursday and Friday it was possible to not catch anything that you could
keep, and not only because of the new size limits. The few that were being caught would
have been small last year too.

Saturday however things bounced back, at least on the flood tide. Fishing was great for
good sized fish, still on the south side. The ebb though was a different story, with boats
searching all over the place, including the rips east of the point. Most of the fish out there
though are too small to keep.

Bass fishing on the other hand is pretty simple. Just go out and catch them. They are in
virtually all of the most popular spots, although if you go by where the most boats are, it
would seem that the Elbow is the only place that is holding any fish. Most of the fish are
in the 28” to 30” range, with some shorts around. there are also occasional 30 lb. plus fish
around. Trolling with the parachutes is the way to go, although if you find a spot with a
good concentration of fish, diamond jigs will work as well.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a note. And for
more information about fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or
check out http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright