Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2655 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Capt Gene Kelly
(Unregistered)
5/28/01 08:56 AM
Montauk Sportfishing report 5/27/01 [Post#: 262 ] Reply to this post

I guess you are realize by now that the drought has broken, which is bad news for
two reasons; the first being that we’re going to have to start cutting the grass. The second
is that the past weeks lousy weather has brought the fluke fishing down to a slow crawl, if
not an almost complete stop.
During the week we could blame the easterly breeze for the poor fishing, but
Sunday, there was no wind at all, and the fluke failed to revive. We’re supposed to have
some more normal weather this week, so they will probably come back to life again, but
it’s hard to see how we will have the kind of fishing that we had for the first couple of
weeks of the season.
The striped bass fishing, however, is red hot. Trolling with the parachutes almost
anywhere will produce lots of keepers, with a good amount of fish from fifteen pounds
and up mixed in. Diamond jigs are working well too, as long as you don’t expect them to
produce all over the place whenever you want. The Elbow has been the place for the jigs,
but you have to use some patience and look around for a a pack of accommodating fish.
There are a few “one bite” size (for a 200 LB mako) bluefish mixed in with the bass as
well.
It looks like those of you who are into the bottom fishing have a lot to look
forward to this year, at least for porgies. Many of the bass have scup in their bellies, most
from five to six inches long. Legal size scup have been found in some of the larger bass
as well.
I’ve been asked about any shark fishing reports, but as of now I don’t know of
anyone who has been offshore, but this coming weekend I know that a couple of boats
have trips scheduled. The water inshore is around fifty degrees, which is a still a little
cool, so unless things warm up a bit, we might have to wait till the following weekend for
much “jaws” action.
There are no bass in the harbor as of yet, but I would expect that to change soon.
The surfcasters have been getting some action on small fish down near the Lighthouse,
but it has been strictly a dawn and dusk scenario.
If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a note.
And for more information about fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280
5565 or check out http://www.montauksportfishing.com.

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright