Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2287 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Delta Guides
(Unregistered)
10/2/01 09:08 PM
South Carolina Weekly Shalllow Saltwater [Post#: 445 ] Reply to this post

South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Fishing Report
Week of 09-23-01 through 09-29-01

Large reds continue to be caught by our anglers in spite of the windy conditions we’ve been having. There have been some really big fish caught recently and we have also found some really small fish to boot! Monday’s group caught 10 reds that ranged from 2# up to 7# while fishing in a 20/25 mph wind. Tuesday was a half day and they caught 1@10#, 1@ 11# and 1@14.5# and lost another when the fish went over a live oyster bed and cut the 20# test Fireline! I’m sure the fish was in the 10 pound class. On Thursday, my one angler caught the first fish of the day on his fly rod and it was a beauty! It weighed in at 13# and the next one was 7#. He also caught 2 more around 4 to 5 pounds on the fly before the wind got to be too much. He then proceeded to catch 5 more reds that were from 4 to 8 pounds each on spinning gear. Friday, I had two half day trips and the first one was during light winds and they had 3 good reds that weighed in at 4#, 5#, and 8# each. By noon, the wind was blowing a steady 20+ from the NE as I picked up the next group. In spite of clear, high water, and some secluded grass beds, we only managed to catch one red that evening. Sunday, the wind was still howling so we ran up a river and caught 3 stripers and 3 small reds for a short day.

Totals for the week were: reds totaled 29 with the largest being 14.5#. Several trout were caught and also 3 stripers that were around the 3 to 4 pound size. Most of the fish were caught on weedless spoons and I believe that 4 were caught using live mullet minnows.

Concerning the new red drum bag limits!! The Governor of South Carolina will sign the new law, that reduces the bag limit from 5 reds to 2 reds, next week. It will be signed during a short ceremony at the DNR headquarters at 3:00 PM on October 12, 2001. Here’s hoping it works!

Thanks, Gene Dickson
Delta Guide Service http://www.deltaguideservice.com
Georgetown, SC
1-843-546-3645

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: Delta-Guide-Service@sc.rr.com

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright