Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2050 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Poacher Charters
(Unregistered)
2/2/02 08:19 AM
Oregon Inlet N.C. Striper Report 2/1 [Post#: 591 ] Reply to this post

The striper fishing is holding on here at Oregon Inlet, with some of the largest fish to date. 30lbers have been fairly common, with the occasional 40lber thrown in, have not heard of a 50lb fish yet but some high 40’s. The last few days (1/28-2/1) we’ve had excellent fishing but you really had to work to find the fish, I’ve fished from South of the inlet at the boiler to the Duck Research Pier and most everywhere in between. Some of the most consistent action has been 50ft to 60ft of water between Kitty Hawk and Duck. Started out the week ( 1/28) at Kitty Hawk with my charter boat “Poacher” in 50ft of water with rolling fish and great action, we had a limit very quick and landed a few on light spinning tackle before making the long ride home, 20 miles one way. The afternoon was much the same with a charter limit of 18lb to 30lb stripers and a few releases. For the next 2 days ( 1/29-1/30) in was much the same, good fishing in Kitty Hawk ,but a long run, had charter limits both days and 2 big fish, both citations a 48”, 43lber for Todd Brewers group and a nice 35lber for Henry. On 1/31 the fog rolled in and we didn’t leave till late. Heard a report of a few fish being landed by the Bodie Island Lighthouse, so we stopped and had a fish on in a few minutes. Every now and again the birds would get on the fish and you would get multiple bites, all of these fish were landed trolling, stretches and double weighted parachutes in 30ft to 50ft of water. We ended up with a limit and 5 releases, the largest fish was a nice 32lber.I would like to thank the outboards for helping the charter boats that day, it saved me a 20mile run to Kitty Hawk by you reporting the fish, thanks. Yesterday was the first day out of the week that to me was good conditions. We had a hard SW wind and a cold front coming through, and the stripers didn’t let us down. Saw the birds from the highway at the boiler, south of the inlet, so we headed that way in the “Poacher”. When we stopped in 50ft of water off Pea Island there must have been several thousand gannets raining out of the sky on the fish, we didn’t get all of our rods out before we hooked a double. It stayed like that for 45minutes, 2 on, 3 on, and we quickly had a limit all nice fish 20lbs to 30lbs. We released another 4 or 5 and called it quits. These fish were landed trolling parachutes, white being the hot color in the clear water. The bite was on yesterday and there was a good bite up towards Kitty Hawk as well. I’m getting blown in today so with this strong North wind it may be a coin toss as to whether you go North or South out of Oregon Inlet on Sunday. Expect some big fish, so have your rigs in good shape. For some striper photos go to my website and hit fishing report. Good Luck, Devin Cage www.poachersportfishing.com (252) 473-6108

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright