Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 2187 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Poacher Charters
(Unregistered)
2/18/02 01:41 PM
Nags Head N.C. Striper Report [Post#: 623 ] Reply to this post

triper fishing continues to be red hot here on the Outer Banks. Over the weekend there was several bites going on up and down the beach. The best bite of the week turned on in 60ft of water off Pea Island on 2/16, lots of stripers and big blues too,heard of several fish between 35lbs and 45lbs taken from this spot. On 2/16 had an all day trip and ran to Kitty Hawk,missing the bite down South but also getting away from all the boat traffic. We picked along most of the morning landind 9 stripers in the morning then got on to a school at Nags Head in 45ft of water and they turned on. We landed 35 stripers ( 12lbs to 28lbs) for the day. All but 2 of the fish were landed trolling, white or silver colors working best. On 2/17 we had a hard NW wind coming so I ran up the beach to where I had left them the day before and found nothing. On my way back through the same area an hour later,thousands of gannets were on the fish ,my mate spotted the cloud of birds from almost 4 miles, thats how big the area of stripers was. We stopped short of the birds and set out and had 5 on, then I looked around and there wasn't another boat in sight in any direction,what a nice feeling! After that we just put out 4 rods and steadily caught stripers for the next 2 hours. We landed 40 or so,with 3 of the fish weighing 37lbs,32lbs,31lbs and most of the others weighing in the mid 20's. All of the fish were landed trolling,although if it hadn't started to get so rough I would have gladly drifted with the light tackle spinners. The fish were busting on top in menhaden and and a couple of charter boats in the area had good casting action. Look for the striper action to stay hot till sometime in March.For some striper photos go to my website and hit fishing report.
Good luck,Devin Cage www.poachersportfishing.com (252)473-6108

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright