Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Saltwater Thread views: 1969 Previous threadView all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Tuna Tonya
(Unregistered)
10/9/02 11:57 PM
Puerto Vallarta Fishing Report [Post#: 930 ] Reply to this post

Puerto Vallarta Fishing Report
“FISHING FRENZY”
BY: JOHN GABRUK
OCTOBER 3, 2002

Great news, it’s wide open on everything right now here in Puerto Vallarta. Four boats fishing a total of 23 days last week accounted for 18 Black Marlin, 9 Blues, 84 Dorado (Mahi-Mahi), 16 Wahoo, 11 Sailfish and the BIG NEWS: 8 Giant Yellowfin Tuna. Other charter and private boats did very well only didn’t report in this week. I’m sure proportionally the fish count was similar.
The High Maintenance, a 35 Luhrs Sportfisher along with the Tonya Too again lead the pack with Captain Steve accounting for 10 Black Marlin, 6 Blues, 46 Dorado, 11 Wahoo, 5 Sailfish and 5 Yellowfin Giants.
Most of the fishing is being done outside of the bay. Corbetania (36 miles out of Marina Vallarta), seems to be the HOT SPOT for Wahoo ranging between 50 and 80 lbs. “Braid” marauders, of all sizes, seem to be producing the most strikes. A lot of the Giant Yellowfin have also been caught or hooked and lost at Corbetania. The problem is the Giants are eating live Skipjacks and small Tuna in close to the rocks that’s also where the Wahoo are. So, trolling live bait in close is producing a lot of strikes from Wahoo with not a lot of hook-ups, only baits coming in cut in half. You may want to try a trail hook while live baiting in tight. So, when you do get a Wahoo strike, you have an excellent chance of a hook-up. Marlin & Sailfish can also be caught in good numbers in the same area. If you are looking for Sailfish or Dorado, change to dragging dead Mullets with a few teasers. This worked excellent this week and accounted for most the Dorado and Sailfish. Remember, on a Dorado hook-up, have a 50 lb. test live bait rig ready and get a live Goggle Eye our as soon as you can, the majority of time there will be other Dorado following the hooked-up Dorado to the boat. If you see multiple Dorados following the hooked Dorado, keep the first hooked Dorado in the water and bait the others. As long as the original hooked fish is still in the water, the other Dorado will stay around also. IMPORTANT: Don’t wait until you have a Dorado hook-up to get your live bait rig ready! There are so many Dorado now; you’re going to need it. Sailfish, many times will act in a similar manor. So, on a Sailfish hook-up, follow the same technique.
For my money right now, El Banco (49 miles out of Marina Vallarta) is the spot! Although a slightly longer ride out, and costs more for charter rentals (but always includes more fishing time), the money and time are both very well spent. The Bank is stuffed with everything and it’s all big. Three Marlin this week caught by High Maintenance (all released) were estimated at over 700 lbs but as always, the Blacks seem to be averaging 500 to 550, medium size lures are working excellent at the bank right now for all species. So, if your tired of slow trolling live baits, put out some lures and who knows what’s going to strike. A lure hooked Marlin will put on a show that must be seen to be believed, they freak out. I saw a 400-pound Blue Marlin lure hooked do a complete flip in the air, the first jump after the initial run. Unfortunately, this Blue had completely swallowed a large black and purple “Black Bart” prowler and came up dead. The fish was mounted and none of the meat went to waste. Usually this is not the case with lure hooked Marlin, they are usually jaw hooked and relatively easy to release. Giant Yellowfins are also at the Bank. Very few strikes on lures, they like to eat the live stuff. So, if you want a Giant, put out some bait, kick back and wait. All in all fishing is fantastic here and now. Remember if you want to mount your fish Grey’s Taxidermy is the best mount and best value possible by far. (The ONLY mounting company in PV that can be paid for by credit card) If you are offered a Montadores del Pacifico mount, the quality or delivery is not assured nor endorsed by this writer. For any additional information on who’s catching what and where contact Tonya at Master Baiter’s Sportfishing & Tackle and she’ll give you the straight scoop. Puerto Vallarta has numerous quality fishing boats but the ONLY way to know the real deal is to book through a reputable company that has access to ALL the local charter boats. Gotta go now, Steve’s got High Maintenance fired up and I’m on the way to the Bank. I’ll let you know how it goes next week. P.S. Excuse my limited information on the smaller gamefish in Puerto Vallarta but when the big stuff is in town, I tend to focus mostly on that.
MASTER BAITER'S SPORTFISHING & TACKLE - GUARANTEED CATCH. TOURNAMENT RIGGED, PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH SPOKEN CREWS, FAST BOATS. 011-52-322-20-90498 OR 99 TACKLE STORE // 011-52-322-29-40521 TONYA'S CELLULAR. I.G.F.A.WEIGH STATION, 1250 LB SCALEMASTER FOR WORLD RECORDS, ONLY FREEZING SERVICE. SPECIALIZING IN GIANT YELLOWFIN TUNA (UP TO 400+ LBS), BLACK
& BLUE MARLIN (AVG. 500 LBS), DORADO, WAHOO, SAILFISH, PARGO, ROOSTER AND MANY MORE. GOOD FISHING ALL YEAR LONG.
"WHERE FISHING IS CATCHING"!

Jump to

Home  Articles Classifieds Top News Fishing Poll 
Top Destinations Weather  

Click here for tackle giveaways and discounts

Fish Clix Banner Exchange  

Webmasters, click here to add this service to your site Copyright